Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Truth in Love

Where do you draw the line between speaking the truth and avoiding the issue? I have to be brutally honest here. I am having a hard time with certain ideas being "acceptable" and Christians worrying more about being tolerant than truthful. We are told over and over again in God's Word to speak the TRUTH in love. Not avoid the truth in hopes that we never hurt anyone's feelings. It's so frustrating for me because I feel like I am stuck in so many circumstances where I should speak the truth IN LOVE, but I end up not saying anything because I might offend someone. For God's sake, SPEAK THE TRUTH. Literally. I'm totally convicting myself, but I hope that more Christians are convicted to speak the truth than to avoid ever confronting anything/anyone because we're afraid of hurt feelings. And the hardest thing is that it is a fine line because we're human, we have no right to judge, and we all need to be accepted... or would like to be anyway. I firmly believe "hate the sin, don't hate the sinner" but I just can't accept the lack of confrontation/accountability in the Christian community. I will be the first one to admit that I am guilty. Any thoughts? Where do we draw the line? Have we gotten too tolerant of sin?

2 comments:

  1. very refreshing. thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right that most believers flee from confrontation and just seethe in their emotions over the situation. just telling the truth would solve the problem! for me, i'm like a pendulum swinging one way and then the other: sometimes i'm all truth and no love, and other times i'm all love and no truth. it's so hard to find a balance!

    ReplyDelete